Good morning friends.  It's a week before Christmas and I'm running like a mad woman trying to get last minute gifts and decorating the house for guests coming over for Christmas dinner.  

I wanted to display something for Christmas that told the real reason we celebrate in our house.  I began to go through my drawers and the garage to see if I had any free supplies.  I came across some leftover paint sticks and had an idea.  I can make some art from it.


I started by gathering my supplies.  I used paint sticks, stain, white paint, and a handmade stencil.


I laid out my sticks to see how I wanted them arranged.
 

After deciding where each stick would go, using wire cutters, I cut each stick to size and sanded the rough edges.
 

On goes the stain.  I even used a small leftover piece and painted it yellow for my star at the top of the tree.
 

After the stain dried, I laid my stencil out.  My stencil was just card stock that I cutout the letters with an exacto knife.
 

I traced the letters from the stencil with pencil onto the sticks.  Using white craft paint, I painted two coats for the letters.  This is the part that took the longest.  I good at staying in the lines, but after a while my hand started cramping from holding that tiny brush.  The stain seemed to soak up some of the paint so it has a weathered look to it.  I just used hot glue to adhere the branch sticks to the stem.
 

In the end, I decided not to use the yellow top.  To me it looks cleaner without it and the yellow may have been too bright.
 

I just propped it up against the centerpiece on the table.
 


I love that there is a real significant piece in our Christmas decor.  Maybe a few more touches around the house and I'm calling it done.  Are you still going like me or are you totally done with all your Christmas chores?

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top