Our entryway was looking a little sad.  I've pinned so many entry ideas but never really did anything about it.  The space behind the door isn't quite big enough for a bench but I didn't want to put any art work there either.  So I opted to make the wall a focal point when you walk in.  Here is the before.  Nothing there, just a blank wall.  This is also the wall that extends all the way up since it's a two story entry.

 
I mentioned I wanted to add some molding to the wall with some hooks to the hubby.  It could be a place for us to hang bags and jackets.  We have several closets downstairs but wanted something a little closer for guests.  He agreed with no hesitation so I jumped right on planning it out before he changed his mind.  I drew sketches and made measurements and headed to Home Depot to get the supplies I didn't already have on hand.

(4) 1/4 x 4 x 4 poplar boards for battens
(1) 1 x 4 pine board for top rail
finishing nails
white caulk

The tops of our baseboards are only 1/4 inch thick so I went with the poplar boards since they were the same thickness.  I did not want to change them out.  I also went with the wider planks for more presence.  I think the lattice boards some suggested were a little wimpy for me.  I had to figure out the spacing for my boards.

wall length - (# of boards x width of boards) = wall space showing
wall space showing / # of boards = space between boards

We also decided that we wanted the finished product to be 42 inches tall.  We just cut the boards with a miter box to the length we needed.
 

We attached the battens to the wall with finishing nails and a hammer.  I didn't buy a nail gun this time around since we were only doing a small wall.  We plan to continue the molding around the stairs and into the dining room, so we'll definitely need one then since there will be a lot more boards.  It was pretty easy using the hammer.
 

Next up was the top board.  I was a little worried about getting the nails through with just the hammer but it was easier than the poplar boards.  We made sure to get nails through where there were studs.  Didn't want it to come tumbling down one day. 
 

After all the boards were up, it was time for caulk. 
 
 
I taped the top very close to the board but left a small gap so I could get the caulk through any gaps but also not have to worry about touching up the wall color paint in the end.



Next was paint.  Yay!  I can see the finish line.  Here is one coat.  It took 3 coats to get everything nice and white. 
 

The moment finally came when I could pull the tape off.  A perfect line and no touch ups.  I love it.  We love it.  It adds so much to this wall, almost opening it up some.  I'm still getting used to turning the corner and seeing it there.
 




Now on to hanging something above it.  Maybe more family photos.  I was contemplating hooks but I would hate to put holes now, it looks so perfect.

 

Sharing with
DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * Homemaker on a Dime * Under the Table and Dreaming * Be Colorful * Between Naps on the Porch * CRAFT * Lines Across * Uncommon Designs * That's What Che Said * Creatively Living * DIY Home Sweet Home * Keeping It Simple * Making the World Cuter * Sew Can Do * Marvelously Messy * Alderberry Hill * Sew Chatty * Sumo's Sweet Stuff * Skip to My Lou * The Dedicated House * Thrifty Decor Chick * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Crafty Confessions * Home Stories A to Z * Homework * Ladybug Blessings * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * New Nostalgia * Not Just a Housewife * Sugar Bee Crafts * The Blackberry Vine * The Winthrop Chronicles * DIY by Design * Ginger Snap Crafts * Handy Man Crafty Woman * Savvy Southern Style * Someday Crafts * Southern Lovely * Clean and Scentsible * Sew Woodsy * House of Hepworths * The 36th Avenue * Life With the Crust Cut Off * The Shabby Nest * 504 Main * Finding Fabulous * Chic on a Shoestring Decorating * Happy Hour Projects * Liz Marie Blog * Simply Sweet Home * Simply Designing * The Answer is Chocolate * The Grant Life * Truly Lovely * Classy Clutter * Today's Creative Blog * It's Overflowing * I Heart Naptime * Lil Luna * Tatertots and Jello * The Blissful Bee *

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top