I've been wanting to do a piece of subway art for a while now.  I had passed many canvases in Michael's and Hobby Lobby but never actually picked one up.  I happened to be in Ikea on a random trip one day.  I always check the 'As Is' section on the way out.  They had just marked down a butt load of cabinet doors.  I grabbed one, not knowing exactly what would happen with it, checked out, and headed home.

When I got home, I held it up against walls in the house trying to figure out where I was going to put it.  BINGO!  I can finally make a subway print.  I searched online for some words to use.  I had plenty of paint in the stash so I got to work.

This is what I started with.  It's a ADEL cabinet door front.


After a couple coats of paint, I laid out where my words would go.  I used blue tape to keep my letters level.


I found a stencil in my daughter's art supplies and started tracing my letters.  I must warn you, the tape pulled off some paint since I didn't prime the cabinet door before the blue paint.  I had to touch up some areas.  I filled in the tracing with white paint by hand. 


Here she is in my entryway.
    


It's a great pop of blue when you walk in the door.


I think I need to go back and grab some more cabinet doors.  I have some more walls to fill.  Have you found a piece lately and turned it into something it wasn't meant for?

 

Sharing with 
Under the Table and Dreaming * Making the World Cuter * DIY Showoff * It's So Very Cheri * I Heart Naptime * Positively Splendid * Classy Clutter * It's Overflowing * The Gunny Sack * Project Queen * Not Just a Housewife * Tip Junkie * Home Stories A to Z * A Bowl Full of Lemons * My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia * Crafty Confessions * Domestically Speaking * Ginger Snap Crafts * Clean and Scentsible * DIY by Design * Southern Lovely * Savvy Southern Style * Thrifty Decor Chick * Bear Rabbit Bear * House of Hepworths * The 36th Avenue * Five Days Five Ways * The Shabby Nest * Just Us Four * Tatertots and Jello *

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Top